This bean salad is perfect for hot summer days when it is too hot to cook.
Use it to make up part of a picnic lunch or dinner, or add it to work or school lunch boxes. Serve with baby new potatoes, mixed green salad, hummus, and whatever else you fancy.
- Two tins of cooked beans of your choice. E.g. butter beans, kidney beans, black eye beans, cannellini beans, borlotti beans
- Fresh broad beans (about 8 pods) – completely optional but really nice if you can get them from your local farmer’s market
- A sprig of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Two teaspoons of good quality extra virgin olive oil or other oil of your choice – I like flax seed oil which is very rich in omega 3
- A teaspoon of good quality apple cider vinegar OR a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste, and/or a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes
- If using fresh broad beans, pop these out of the pods and boil for 10 minutes or steam in a steamer
- Meanwhile, drain the tinned beans and rinse under cold running water
- Put all ingredients in a salad bowl and combine