How to build the perfect green smoothie!
A green smoothie is a great way to increase your vegetable and fruit intake, while staying hydrated too, especially in the summer!
Here is how to make the perfect green smoothie.
Into your blender add:
- A portion of fruit – soft fruit works well, my favourite is banana or pear as this doesn’t take away from the lovely green colour of the smoothie! You could also add in green fruit like kiwi or grapes.
- A couple of handfuls of green vegetables or leaves. You can try: spinach, lettuce, cucumber, cooked broccoli, courgette (raw or cooked), avocado. Tip- vary it day to day rather than having the same each day.
- A source of protein – any nuts, seeds or nut butters are ideal. My favorite is a teaspoon of tahini which is a great vegan calcium source, with a few walnuts.
- A source of good fats – this could come from the nuts, seeds or avocado. Or you could add some coconut for example.
- Extra flavourings – spice it up with fresh or dried ginger, or cinnamon. A dash of lemon juice is also good.
- Extra goodness – add in any powdered supplements you like or something like spirulina for an extra nutrient boost.
- Your liquid – just water is fine, you could also try cold green tea, plant milk of choice, or coconut water. My favorite is half coconut water and half ordinary water so that it’s not overly sweet. You can add more or less liquid depending on how liquid you like it.
- Drink it as soon as possible after making- it will taste better and be more nutritious
- Although it is a liquid, try not to gulp it down too quickly. Sip it, and hold each mouthful for a moment so that you are almost chewing it, to aid digestion.
- Mix up the ingredients day to day to ensure you are getting a range of nutrients.